Last night I was in the house, when Gracen came running in asking me to come out and look at something she found. When I got outside, John was holding a sand shovel. "Look at what your daughter was carrying around." It was a little baby squirrel!
I thought it was dead. It was a little ball of wet fir. John was out watering the trees and Gracen and Carson were playing in the flowerbeds. I guess this little guy was crawling around in the mud. He was covered in bugs and fleas... but he was SO cute. The first words out of my mouth were "Can we keep it?" John wasn't too happy about that because the kids joined in.We decided that we'd better leave it out for the mom to find. We wrapped it up in an old rag and left it under a bush with some nuts for mommy squirrel.
I thought for sure it would die in the night. But in the morning, he was still moving around. I couldn't just leave it there. So I got a syringe and filled it with milk. The little guy had NO interest in it. So I looked up online what to do. I tried a sugar water solution they suggested, but he really wasn't interested. The website also told me to wash off the dirt and bugs. So I did. He LOVED it. He was stretching his little arms out and rolling onto his tummy so I could clean him. After I dried him off and made sure all the bugs were gone, I called John. He told me to just let it go up in the foothills. So me and the kids put him in a little rag and left him under a bush. I thought for sure he's die. When John got home he said to go get it and we'd try and take care of it until we knew who to give it to. We drove back to the bush and he was walking around... screeching. I picked him up and took him home. He drank a lot of the solution, but I threw out the other stuff I'd made... thinking we weren't going to keep him.
We made him a little home in a terrarium with newspaper. I hope he makes it. Any suggestions on who to call?
| John trying to get it to drink more water. |
1 comment:
great story! i'm glad you blogged about it.
Post a Comment