...on the elliptical. It was TOO windy to even try to go out on the road, so I went to the Rec. Center. It turned out to be a beautiful day though.
My shins have started hurting AGAIN!! I'm so tired of this! I've spent WAY too much money trying to fix this problem. Maybe I just need to live with it. Grrrr!! I did read an article online last night that might help in the future...
Prevention
There are things you can do to prevent shin splints.
Wear a proper fitting athletic shoe. To get the right
fit, determine the shape of your foot using the "wet test." Step out of
the shower onto a surface that will show your footprint, like a brown
paper bag. If you have a flat foot, you will see an impression of your
whole foot on the paper. If you have a high arch, you will only see the
ball and heel of your foot. When shopping, look for athletic shoes that
match your particular foot pattern.
In addition, make sure you wear shoes designed for your sport.
Running long distances in court-type sneakers can contribute to shin
splints.
Slowly build your fitness level. Increase the duration, intensity, and frequency of your exercise regimen gradually.
Cross train. Alternate jogging with lower impact sports like swimming or cycling.
Barefoot running. In recent years, barefoot running has
gained in popularity. Many people claim it has helped to resolve shin
splints. Some research indicates that barefoot running spreads out
impact stresses among muscles, so that no area is overloaded. However,
there is no clear evidence that barefoot running reduces the risk for
any injury.
Like any significant change in your fitness regimen, a barefoot
running program should be started very gradually. Begin with short
distances to give your muscles and your feet time to adjust. Pushing too
far, too fast can put you at risk for stress injuries. In addition,
barefoot runners are at increased risk for cuts and bruises on their
feet. Several brands of minimalist shoes with "toes" are available and
these also require a slow working in period as your body adjusts to this
different activity.
So... that last part has me intrigued. Maybe I should get on the Barefoot Running crazy wagon and try it. Again I don't want to spend more $$ and find out that it doesn't help the shins. :oP At least the elliptical didn't seem to effect them today. I lifted weights for about 15 minutes before heading out the door.
3.5 miles ~ 45 minutes
No comments:
Post a Comment