Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 27

I actually ran OUTSIDE in St. George this weekend. OH MY GOSH!! Are you kidding? I'm still sore!! WHY?!?!?! I even tried to make it mostly downhill or on flat road... no good. I walked for most of it. People have told me that running on the road is a lot different than on the treadmill... they weren't kidding. I started by walking as usual, I got shin splints in both legs. I stopped and stretched about 3 times before I started running. Usually I can run through an entire song without stopping... especially at the beginning of my run. I barely made it through 3/4 of it. I had to stop. Then I walked to the "Diagonal" thinking I could run it... I thought it was relatively flat... WRONG. Apparently it was a gradual uphill the direction I was going. So I'd run a block and walk about 2 blocks. Then some runners passed me going down, so I changed my direction and tried to keep up. That worked for about 3/4 of another song and my thighs were on FIRE! (sigh) so I walked to John's parents and used their bathroom, got a drink and then took off for Bugga and Papa's... DOWNHILL. Finally. :o) Well, that didn't help. My knees hurt, my ankles hurt, my thighs hurt and I was TIRED. I did run the last 2 blocks, but collapsed in front of the TV for 30 minutes (1/2 an episode of "Project Runway") before I decided I'd better shower. Good thing about running outside... I wasn't as sweaty. :o) I got REALLY discouraged... I still am. 13 MILES OUTSIDE??? I guess I need to give up the treadmill and just go outside. But maybe when it warms up... it snowed up here while we were in St. George.

5 Miles ~~ 1 Hr 20 Min?? ~~ ?? Calories ~~ 20 Minutes in the Hot Tub to recover!!

2 comments:

Amber said...

5 miles in 1:20 isn't bad at all!! Keep it up! I'm not a big runner, but when I did run before kids, I noticed that I was able to run a lot longer if I slowed down a little bit. Otherwise I felt like my lungs were going to burst. Once you get the hang of that, you'll notice that you're going a little faster each time!! Good luck! I think it is great that you can motivate yourself to do this!!!!

Samantha said...

Great job!! Keep trying you WILL get the hang of it.