Monday, June 18, 2012

5 Miles

I think I've figured out why I'm getting shin splints... I walk like a duck (toes out), so I must run like one too. So, half way through my run I thought of that and tried to concentrate on running with my toes in... no shin splints. Who knows what muscles will be sore from that, but I may have figured out my pain. Then again it could all be mental.  :o)

I was going to rest today, but then I realized that I really only have 4 days before the half. So I got up at 5 and hit the road. I walked quite a bit, but I at least tried to walk fast. I'm really nervous about Saturday, but I know I can do it. I think I'll try another 5 on Wednesday...

5 miles ~ 1 hour

2 comments:

Amber said...

Just a side note to shin splints....I have learned that they are primarily caused from running downhill. Don't know if you do a lot of that, but you could try not so many downhills:)

Amber said...

I was also just reading about excessive pronation (flat feet) places you at higher risk for developing shin splints. Do you know any PTs/athletic trainers in your area? A shoe orthotic that has a supportive arch may be helpful. You also want to make sure you don't have any stress fractures causing all the pain....sorry, just a concerned cousin who likes to look things like this up!!